We’re committed to creating smart, sustainable suburbs and urban renewal where communities can thrive.
Our goal is to contribute towards the sustainable development of Canberra while meeting our city’s growing housing needs.
We lead by example and showcase innovative sustainability in our demonstration projects.
We embed sustainability into the design and development of our new places. we must strike a balance between environmental, social and cultural, and economic sustainability. This is critical to build thriving places for communities.
We're preparing for climate change
Climate change is causing hotter, drier summers and more extreme, damaging weather events. Events such as droughts, bushfires, hailstorms and floods.
We must prepare for these events. By building places that support resilience in our communities, we can recover quicker if they happen.
This requires places where the infrastructure and natural assets can adapt to the risks of climate change. Where parks, lakes, and other green and blue places, cool our developments. Making great, safe places for people to come together.
Social and cultural sustainability
The goal of social and cultural sustainability is healthy, prosperous and inclusive places that support diverse communities and celebrate the history of Ngunnawal land.
Social and cultural sustainability therefore focuses on strategies to:
- design the physical environment and social infrastructure to support social inclusion, community wellbeing, cultural connection to country, active lifestyles, diversity, and resilience.
The goal of economic sustainability is to sustain healthy, prosperous communities and development. Communities that provide opportunities for affordable living and places that support economic vitality.
This means economic sustainability focuses on strategies to:
- create prosperous centres where residents can access essential services, employment opportunities, and education
- attract businesses to our centres, create spaces for new opportunities, and build strong connections to other parts of the city.
Ways to get involved
If you're a member of our community:
- check out our resources to read sustainable ideas for designing your home or garden
- come along to a Mingle event and meet some friendly locals who also want to get involved in their community.
If you’re in the building industry:
- check out the SLA website for the latest sustainable building initiatives in which you can be involved
- contact the SLA Sustainability Team to find out more about how you can showcase sustainable design to the community.
If you're a community organisation or business and have an idea for how you can partner with us:
- get in touch with the SLA Sustainability Team and help us deliver more sustainable development.